Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The beginning of the end in Australia

I managed to sell my surfboard through Ebay and promised to deliver it to the buyer here in Sydney. It wasn't the easiest task to travel with the train with a 8,6" minimal and a 20kg rucksack, but with the help of locals I managed to move my stuff around. One funny situation happened when I tried to get through the ticket-gates at the trainstation. I was carrying too much and got literally stuck between the narrow gates. Workers saw my struggle and let me through the big gate which was meant for people with "restricted mobility".



I wanted to see the Dutch teacher Eva before moving out from the central Sydney and I went to see her in the Bondi. She had an apartment just few hundred meters from the Bondi beach, which is maybe the most familiar (and crowded) beach in the Australia. I used to travel for a while with Eva from Cairns to Normanton so it was good to see her again. She was living with a Dutch surfer who was also a good dude and promised to lend me his surfboard if I ever wanted to go surfing.

It was time for me to move to the Mel's place and I took a train again to Epping where I got picked up. I got very well welcomed by Mel's family and got an own room to live in. I got stunned by all the hospitality which kept coming from all directions. We went out couple of times before the Christmas and I got to meet many of Mel's great friends. Mel also took us to the Blue mountains and could show us some incredible places since she had been living in the area for a while. This is the time I felt the most like being home during my stay away from Finland. The first time I got really struck by the thought that I was soon about to leave everything here behind...

No comments: