Thursday, January 25, 2007

Madam Kwan's Nasi Lemak



The feeling of backpacking life came back pretty fast after lifting my 20kg+ rucksack on my back. It was time to head to Kuala Lumpur again, the 4th time. Neighbourhood was becoming familiar. I had booked dorm for three nights from the Red Palm hostel which is ranked in the top10 hostels in the World. This was the hostel I stayed also year ago last January so it felt like coming back to the roots. My journey was gonna end where it pretty much was starting.

I was warmly welcomed to the hostel and this time I didn't have any touristy plans. I had enough sightseeing during my last stays and now I just wanted to relax, read a good book and think about going back to Finland. I went to buy a book but ended up buying three from the discount. Well atleast now I've heaps to read, I finished one book already.

I did some research about surfing in Malaysia and it turned out that you can actually surf here in Kuala Lumpur. The sunway mall has a artificial surfing beach, where you can catch waves during the weekend afternoons. Would be good to try some local surfing, but it's not a weekend.

I'm really getting into local foods and I wanted to try the local speciality Nasi Lemak in proper restaurant. There's a good place called Madame Kwan's, which I found by the recommendation of the local friend Florence. We went there together and I was really happy to see that the portion was a good size and it tasted really good. You can get much cheaper Nasi Lemak from the food stalls but I still enjoyed this clean option a lot. I still would like to try to Beef Rendang which everybody recommends but I think I'm running out of time and I just can't eat all the time.

No comments: