Monday, January 09, 2006

Tanote Bay, Koh Tao, Thailand

Koh Tao is a small island with few people. Not so many tourists here and it seems to be very quiet place. The island is great for scuba diving. I'm doing open water PADI scuba diving course here and also advanced open water course. So it sums up to 9 dives. It costs around 340euros for both courses. Quite cheap plus you get to dive in good places. The open water course takes 4 days and the advanced open water takes around 2 days so I'm staying here for a week. I think you will get a little bit bored if you stay here for long and don't do scuba diving.

On my dives I have already seen a seasnake, murray eel(mean looking bastard), sea snake(lethal) and a really big turtle. There are also lots of fish and I don't recognize any of them but they look beautiful. I'm learning all the time though.

I just rented a 125cc scooter with a swiss gyu and we explored some island. The roads inland and on the east coast are in really bad condition so you need a dirtbike or 4wd to access them. I'm staying in Tanote bay, which is a small bay in eastern side of the island. The electricity usually works and no mobile network is available so perfect place to relax, but it also means that no big parties are available. There are only few taxis going to Tanote Bay daily so it's not very easy to access the "town" if you want to go for example partying. The 4wd ride takes about 45mins on a bumpy road.

I'm living in a comfortable 2 person bungalow by myself and the accomodation with scuba diving course is 5 euros / night. I have learnt to like spicy thai food and you can eat well in a restaurant for around 3-4 euros.

On friday I'm going to leave to Koh Phangan and try to find some accomodation there. There's going to be a full moon party and masses of tourists are coming to the island. Let's see what happens...

2 comments:

tinttia said...

Hello Timo!

So how are you going to be at Bali on 1st of February? My flight arrives 21.55 local time to the airport, have you already desided where you are going to stay then?

Just thinking should I book a hostel for first night and from where?

Anonymous said...

poeka ... yritäppäs päivitelläki joskus :)