Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Full Moon Party, Koh Phangan, Thailand

Had to recover and gain hit points few days after the full moon party so that's why the late posting. Had maybe some fever yesterday because 2-day hangovers aren't very common to me and I was totally powerless during the whole day.

Koh Phangan is a little different compared to Koh Tao. More tourists, better roads, better beaches(atleast I think so), more crowded beaches and worse scuba diving just to list few differences. Here in Koh Phangan you can find both the relaxing beaches of the north and east sometimes with difficult entry, and the Mallorca/Ibiza-style nightlife beach of Haadrin in the southern tip of the Island. That's the place where the Full moon party is kept once in a month. Also other parties exists: the black moon party and the half moon party but I don't know anything about them.

The full moon party is just what you expect it to be. Lots of tourists(estimate 25000?) packed up in the same area. Next to next beach bars play different variety of music with nice volume so it's very easy to change place if you have for example had enough of d&b for the evening. Most of the people are sitting on the beach and having buckets which include whiskey/vodka, redbull and cola/sprite/soda. Buckets with whiskey are more cheap and of course I took them, maybe that's why it took few days to recover. Bucket with 0.33l whiskey and 2 redbulls was around 4euros and the same set with vodka was maybe 6 euros. Late night/morning cheese burger with a real beef was a bit over 1 euro and gave me some power on my way home. I'm staying in Baan Tai which is quite peaceful area with nice beaches about 10km north from Haadrin.

During the party there are people wandering around and asking you about "you want something else", referring probably to different kind of drugs. It would be a bad mistake to take anything because there are many polices under cover trying to bust people and get their comission.

Anyway in the evening I had lots of fun. You're sitting on the beach, having the bucket and the weather is nice. Lots of fire artists are having performances during the evening and you can smell the oil of their torches. Along the sealevel there's a long line of men pissing to the sea and people who are not sitting or just wandering in the beach are dancing madly in the front of bars. I can admit that the music they played in many bars was very nice and also had to make some dance moves by myself. If you don't like music/dancing/hangin around you can probably sit in a restaurant watching movies and I saw many spending their time like this.

Today I rent again a scooter and travelled back and forth of the island and also met 2 nice girls who were looking for the same way as I to some kind of waterfall. Well we coupled up and found the waterfall which hardly had any water at all. Well anyways it didn't bother me...

Now I'm going back to my bungalow and to the beach to finish the lousy book (night of the hawk) that Topi gave me before he left. Next destination Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in probably 2-3 days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tenukeppi päässy naisten makuun. I want to go back to South-East Asia, I hate this fakin freezing weather!

Timo said...

hehhee eikun vaan lentoa varaamaan