Monday, November 13, 2006

Surftrippin' Margaret River

Headed towards the SW coast and the Margaret River area with plans to do lot of surfing on this world class surf and wine area. Well wasn't very lucky in the beginning since a strong westerly winds and a big swell made surfing on the western coast impossible or atleast too challenging for me. Luckily I did a little bit research in the Cape Naturaliste area and found a nice break at the Picques Point. This point was facing east and then covered by the NW winds. Some of the locals were surfing at the same place and told me that I was lucky to found this place. They were also quite impressed to see a Finnish 'surfer' in the water but also told that they would probably cause same kind of effect if they would snowboard the slopes in Finland.

As the NW winds eased up a little bit I made some journeys from my base in Cape Naturaliste to Yangidup and the surfbreaks around NW Margaret river area. I found a really nice spot at Injidup carpark and had one of the biggest surfs at the Injidup point. I met a Norwegian guy who had surfed for 5 years and is now studying in Perth. He was taking these huge waves like nothing with his minimal. I wasn't that successful but just being in the water and watching 2m surf crashing just next to you was impressive enough and gave me my adrenaline shot. On the next day the surf got again small and we were fighting of the waves like a flock of seagulls with two local senior guys with their minimals. They took most of them.

Totally I stayed 3 nights in the spot X at the Cape Naturaliste and managed to spot some blue whales from close distance as well. Priceless. Margaret River is one of the top winery regions in Australia and I decided to celebrate it by drinking couple of mugs of my (12aud/4liters) fine wine and watching stars and the bright lighthouse beam in the Cape Naturaliste.

The most breaks in the Margaret River area are really world class which means that they're not really place for the beginners. Breaks include names like 'Guillotines' and 'Gallows' and I didn't really want to find out what's behind these names. I saw some really good surfers in the water and most of the cars which I saw had surfboard mounted on the roof. Reminded me of the skiing resorts in Northern Finland.

No comments: