Friday, November 24, 2006

Stuck in Esperance

Well the overheating problem didn't correct with the change of the fan clutch. I had to stay for over the weekend in the Esperance to get my car serviced on Monday. No worries though! John is a guy who I met in Esperance and I finally found out the true meaning of Australian hospitality. First of all, on Thursday John invited me to see some cool surfing photos around the area and the World while having couple of beers in his house. He also offered me to have a shower, make the laundry and sleep in the house but I was glad enough to have a hot shower and sleep in my van in his carpark. On Friday we got up 5am to get some waves and John rode me around the Esperance and to one cool beach with his 4wd Jeep. He could again tell everything about the local surf breaks. This was the day I was planning to leave towards the East and the Nullarbor plains but since the car didn't got fixed I gave John a call and he invited me again to sit the evening in his place. There was also a local couple Lara and Shain(or Shane) and we had a great pasta dinner with wine. While having a dinner I found out that Lara and Shain are running a local coffee business. Surprisingly I got a free coffee next day from their stall. The weekend went pretty much waking up early 5am-6am in the morning and surfing 2x2hr sessions during the day. Surfing takes your juices out and I've been going to bed usually around 6-8pm.

John gave me some great surfing tips for my future journeys and also some insect repellant to take me into the cactus beach which is quite notorious of the flies. When I said that my car eats some oil he also gave me some spare oil he had in his garage. Quite unbelievable.

On Monday I took my car to the service again and we changed the thermostat but no avail. Then we took the whole radiator out for long process of cleaning but temperature gauge was still showing overheat. We started to suspect the actual gauge and made manual temperature measurements. It turned out that the bloody gauge was showing total bullshit and I ended up buying a manual gauge. It's a cool pimp up for my van though. Quite expensive service but atleast the cooling system is now in good condition. I said goodbyes to John and gave him many thanks before heading towards the treeless Nullarbor plains and the surf in Cactus beach.

No comments: