Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Coastal drive to Perth

It was too rocky at the Kalbarri even though there was a great looking point break at Jack's point. However we headed to Geraldton to look for some beach breaks and found some swell at the Back beach. The waves were pretty much closing out and all you could get was whitewash but it was still cool after dusty travelling in Northern territories. The conditions were pretty good for Nils and Sebastian to practise paddling and standups with my 8.6" minimal. I tried to get past the waves with 6.3" shortboard but the long break in surfing had done it's job and I didn't have enough strength to get through the crashing waves.

From Geraldton we got some tips about surf in the Flat rocks which is around 40kms South. We arrived there to see the beautiful sunset and noticed that there was no "no camping" signs even thought the beach carpark was just next to the ocean and there was a toilet as well. The scenery fit perfectly to my previous thoughts about deserted Western Australia with good surf and no crowds. We ate pasta with beans for dinner next to the crashing surf and watched the sunset. You don't need much to be rich.

In the morning I wanted to try the surf. The conditions looked quite calm but I was a little bit worried to go out since it looked quite rocky. It was also the lowtide. I spent a long time trying to catch the waves but couldn't paddle fast enough for most of them and I was too wussy to stay next to the break point. When I finally got one wave I also discovered the truth behind the name of the site. As the wave was growing behind me it sucked all the water out in front of me revealing all the rocks. I wasn't fast enough with my minimal and as the wave was closing out I had to jump into it to avoid totally smashing into the shallow water and the rocks. Even though I still scratched my foot into rocks a little bit and were lucky not to get any bigger cuts. Scary experience and I probably stick with the beachbreaks until I get some of my confidence back :)

We tried to find more surf on our way to Perth but it seems to be totally flat next few days. We camped one night at Lancelin, drove straight here to Perth and are staying now in the Fremantle. I should get my car serviced and then leave towards the world class surf and wines in Margaret River. I heard that Jonas' car, the Misty Yellow, is broken down in Port Hedland and waiting for the new carburator. Poor old Misty.

No comments: