Monday, November 27, 2006

From Esperance to Adelaide

When you're going from Esperance to Adelaide, you need to cross the Nullarbor plains. These are plains with pretty much nothing. At some parts there's no trees anywhere, just vast plain everywhere you look. Quite interesting experience was the longest straight in Australia. 90 Miles of road without a single bend. Made me quite numb while I was listening again and again the only four casettes and 256mb mp3s which I have in my car.

I had to stay overnight on the road because you can't do these distances in one day. The warning bells started ringing again when I woke up the first morning in the Nullarbor plains and the car didn't immediately start up. It took me a good time trying to get the car started and it seemed that it doesn't get spark. Finally it started and I wondered if I just flooded it. I headed to Cactus beach which is again one of the World class surfing beaches in Australia. Cactus beach is surrounded by nothing, only sand dunes. There's a small camp site and there was couple of people camping there, mostly surfers. The other habitants in this area are the flies. Pretty annoying little creatures when they keep flying in your eyes and mouth.

The day wasn't really good for surfing. Really small swell and onshore wind made it again worthless to go into water. After the nice surf in Esperance I didn't really feel getting myself wet. The views at the Cactus beach were worth checking out though! I continued towards Eyre Peninsula following the tips I got from John but as the day was bad at the Cactus beach, it wasn't better in the Eyre Peninsula. There was good potential spots around Streaky bay though and I'm sure there's nice surf and sharks around. There's a big sea lion colony at the Western Eyre peninsula and there's a good lookout where you can observe them. I spent a night at spot X, had same ignition problems in the morning and finally drove around the whole peninsula. The ride was really beautiful which proofs that the journey is part of the experience.

I stopped around 70kms before Adelaide and this time in the morning it took almost an hour to start the car. I decided to service my car in the Adelaide again. They changed the spark plugs and did some cleaning around the distributor. It seemed to work since the car starts without problems again. Yay! I proceeded onwards through Adelaide but had a double whopper with cheese on the way.

The germans have updated their pictures. Check out this link and especially the cool river crossing outback pictures

No comments: