Sunday, February 12, 2006

USAT Liberty Ship Wreck, Tulamben, Bali

I took one dive to the liberty ship wreck in Tulamben. 1 dive was 25usd and you could get two dives for 40usd.

We started our dive with the local dive master around 8:30am. The visibility in the shallow was around 5 meters so it wasn't ideal time for snorkelling. We descended to 25meters where the visibility got much better. One reason for this was that the cold current brought some fresh water from depths and took away the plankton. The marine life around wreck wasn't anything spectacular at the moment. However I managed to see some garden eels and pipefish for the first time.

The wreck was really massive and you could get inside it. It was amazing to see old ladders and hatches now being rusty and swallowed by coral. I heard a rumor afterwards that toilet in the ship is really clean and not worn out like the other parts of the wreck but unfortunately I didn't manage to check if it's true.

We went snorkelling with Matti after my dive. I just wore my boarshorts and collided with some kind of jellyfish, tangling to it's burning tentacle. It hurt. The marks in my neck, left hand, stomach and right leg remained for 3 days.

No comments: