Thursday, February 02, 2006

Kuta, Bali

I travelled from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore by public bus and it was painless and cheap. I had a full booked australian airlines flight from Singapore to Denpasar in Bali. First I headed to Kuta, because I wanted to see what's the center of the tourism in Bali is all about. Well I didn't have to seek the answer for long...

Kuta during this off-season is what you get when you have a massive tourism industry and no tourists. The local people are trying to make their best to win the world championship title in bullshitting tourists and they are doing very well. Neither Thailand or Malaysia is any comparison to Indonesia in this game. Here's some samples you're likely to hear many many times: "Transport!", "Motobike, cheap, only for you my friend", "Massage! Foot, shoulder, good", "Hello sir/boss, You want some?", "Why do you buy from there? They are japanese, I am from bali. 21 years in bali!", "You can't walk, roads closed, ceremony, motobike only", "You can't walk, too hot, your legs burn, motobike, transport?", "You can't walk, police will stop, only with local, transport?" .....

Well I still stayed 4 nights in Masa Inn, Kuta, because I have some traveller problems with my stomach. However I managed to go to see the famous nightlife in Seminyak which is a bit north from Kuta. There was a club with bungee tower, pool and big video screens. The club was called double six it was completely empty at 1 am but at 3 am there was lots of people. The reason for this was that the double six was open till 6 am and the other clubs were closed at 4 am. The prices were quite high in Indonesian standards. Beer around 2 euros, drinks around 4 euros and entry a bit less than 5 euros. The tourism industry was seen also in the club. Lots of ladyboys and girls from Jakarta(Java) and other parts of Indonesia having a "holiday" and buzzing around the white guys.

I think nobody should spend their vacation in Kuta even if the beach and waves are nice. It's just ruined by all the bullshitters and big tourism industry. And there's always chance for another big bang.

No comments: