Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Cape Woolamai in the Phillip Island


Phillip island is located around 130kms South of Melbourne and there's a bridge access to the island. In the Finland Phillip Island is probably best known of it's racing circuit where the Motogp is held. Finnish 125cc-driver Mika Kallio finished second there on September. There's some nice views around the island as you can see on the pic.
Well we didn't go there for the motogp but to see the surf and the masses of penguins. I had made some research about the surf locations beforehand and the place called Cape Woolamai, just south after the bridge, should offer the best surf in the island. We were lucky to have good offshore winds and nice swell when we arrived on the main beach at the Cape Woolamai. There was heaps of other surfers enjoying the nicely shaped waves but there was so many breaks that the big pack was divided nicely along the beach. I got some nice waves here with my minimal again and didn't find the locals too competitious either. I started to think that this would the perfect moment to change my board to about 7foot minimal which should be faster and easier to turn. I still find my 6.3" shortboard too hard to paddle to have fun enough in the water.

We also did quick surf check at the Smith's beach which is more like a family type. The swell was much smaller there and would be really good for beginners(Harri). Well as we already had stopped in Cape Woolamai I took Harri to practise standups in the whitewash there instead. I was standing in the water with my wetsuit on and giving Harri tips while he did some nice standups in the whitewash without any wetsuit. "It's like in Finland", he said when I asked about the water temp and he was the only one not to wear a wetsuit.

No comments: