Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sailing the Whitsunday islands


Went sailing on Whitsunday islands for 3 days/2 nights with Swiss Jonas, German Andy and Canadian James and had a great time sailing, snorkelling and relaxing at the whitehaven beach. There was 24 people onboard and the whole group played together really well.
On the first snorkelling site I managed to spot a quite big maori wrasse called Elvis which I followed for a long time. On the second spot the snorkelling wasn't too special since big tourist groups had pretty much messed up all the corals but it was still fun since I was lucky to be snorkelling with a French girl Bene who was a divemaster(and a swimming instructor) and could spot me some interesting things in water. We also spent some time at the Whitehaven beach which has the most finest sand I've ever seen and it's all really white.


Sailing itself was an awesome experience too, since we had a good 20-30knots wind in the last day. Perfect for the 81ft maxi racing yacht called Condor which really tilted into steep angle when we raised all the sails. "Condor is perhaps the most famous Maxi yacht in history, having won every major ocean race in the world twice. Condor is the only yacht to have achieved this distinction. These races include the Sydney to Hobart, Fastnet, Bermuda races and the World Maxi Championship - just to name a few!"
When balancing on the edge of the tilted ship with seawater splashing on my face, I made a decision to buy a big, fast sailing boat in future when I own a big multinational company and sail across the world.

The whole trip cost me 255aud at the standby rate, worth the money. Now I'm hanging here in the Airlie beach with the guys. James and Andy are planning to do their scuba diving course and we probably leave with Jonas to Ayr in North to dive the Yongala shipwreck. Should be one of the best dives in Australia with incredible amount of marine life.

No comments: