Friday, August 25, 2006

Surfing in Byron, Cruising in Fraser

Well I skipped the whole Brisbane because I'm not really interested to burn my money in the cities. I had some good surf in the Byron and managed to get my first waves with the 6.3" surfboard.

From Byron I headed North to Noosa heads, but only stayed there for one night since the surf wasn't too special. Got a little bit better with my shortboard though and after a few hours surfing there was a huge tanline on my neck from the wetsuit. Temperature is getting up again and waters warmer so it seems that I can change to boardshorts soon.

I am now at Hervey Bay, which is famous for the whale watching and is a major starting point to Fraser Island safaris. I went through the hostels and managed to get a pretty good stand-by offer for 3-day 4wd safari. It would be a drive yourself, so there wasn't any guide with us. The car was Toyota landcruiser and there was 6 persons in safari. Pretty good setup, since during the safari we saw similar landcruisers with 11 people packed in.

Lake McKenzie

Fraser Island is the most biggest sand island in the world. The eastern beach is called 75mile beach and there's a highway and numerous aircraft landing areas on it. The safari was really good fun. I got to do most of the driving and I really enjoyed accelerating the powerful 4wd through soft landscape. I camped the both nights on the beach under the stars and next to roaming ocean. We stopped to see some really clear sweetwater lakes and also saw many sharks at the ocean. Swimming was strongly discouraged in the ocean and I wasn't stupid enough to try.

Today I'm leaving towards a town called seventeenseventy(1770), which should be the last good surfing point on the East coast before the great barrier reef starts to block the surfable waves. I'm gonna give a ride to two British girls from our safari group and share the petrol costs. After 1770 the next stop is probably the Airlie beach and the Whitsunday islands. Whitehaven beach there, with the bright white sand, is voted for the most beautiful beach in Australia. Can't wait.

No comments: