Saturday, July 22, 2006

Milford sound

I booked a shuttle bus + cruise from Te anau to Milford sound which is around 160km away. The weather looked miserable in the morning and we had to stop and put the snow chains on when we climbed up the mountainous road (nice sceneries again) towards Milford sound. There was only two young british guys in the bus besides me, off-season.



As soon as we descended from the mountains to the Milford sound the weather turned pretty clear and we could see the Mitre peak raising up to the skies. The British taught me that the mitre is the hat which the bishops wear and yes I'll have to admit that the peak resembles like one. For the good weather we had to thank the southeastern wind which pushed all the air against the mountains and not many clouds made it over the mountain ridge to the western side. The boat we had booked seemed to be quite empty. There was around 10 "normal" tourists like us in the boat which is capable to take much more(hundreds?) people onboard. Well it turned out that we had to wait japanese tourist bus which was probably delayed by the heavy snowfall on the mountains. Because of this really long and painful 20min wait we got a free buffet lunch worth 28nzd. I was surprised but didn't ask any more questions while quickly loading my plate with chinese food.

Well I could probably wrote another paragraph about the impressive sceneries in the Milford sound but it's maybe better for you to come and see it for yourselves.

What a coincidence, on my way back I bumped into these three british girls again at the boat terminal. Last time I saw them was in the Wellington when we had this Guinness cultural evening. Well, we are gonna expand this experience today on Saturday here in Queenstown. It's probably going to be a big night out. Cheers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Score? FIN-GBR? ;)

Timo said...

hahhah :)
elapa topi utele

Anonymous said...

Timo i read your comment about the guinness and blackurrant and laughed! I can't honestly remember if you tried that in queenstown that night?!? Seriously though make sure you do!!!

Timo said...

I'm pretty sure that I didn't try that. Not 100% though...

Teapots were exotic enough.