Monday, October 16, 2006

Litchfield national park


I'm getting really frustrated since I'm writing these postings afterwards and I can't remember half of the great stuff I've experienced during all the days. However even if I would remember all of the smallest details I've enjoyed I would only spend my days writing this blog.

Litchfield national park is located just next to Darwin and is smaller than the famous Kakadu national park. You can access almost everywhere in the NP just by 2wd drive so you can see the most of the park in 2 days or even in a day if you're in hurry. Major attractions include huge(5m?) magnetic termite mounds, waterfalls, creeks with waterholes and really nice sunsets. I can only write that I really enjoyed my time there and it's really beautiful. All the details about different attractions can be found at the park home site.

Our days in the park involved a lot of swimming, swearing the flies, swimming again, chilling out and enjoying the quite pushy wildlife. On the first evening when I was doing dishes when everyone else was already crashed out, I heard something coming towards the campsite from the bushes. I turned on the flashlight and I suddenly saw two huge feral pigs with three of their babies coming running towards me. Well I immediately remembered my military training and took defensive positions around the campfire. As soon as I had defeated the first attack the same group starting oinking their way in from the other side. I had quite a funny time trying to make dishes and kicking sand towards the hungry pigs. Eventually when I got my dishes done and went to bed and peeped through the curtains I saw all the pigs keenly licking the scraps from the bbq.

To make our fires we needed firewood. Andy was always really keen gathering some and we came up with this great idea of pulling down a dead piece of tree with our towing rope. So we attached the rope around the tree and started pulling but not soon when we heard a snap when the rope broke. Really good towing rope quality from China!


On our way out of Litchfield Jonas' and Andy's panelvan got into a little trouble when their lower ball joint broke. They had to get their car brought into nearby town and left it there over the weekend which we agreed to spend in Darwin. We then headed to Darwin with only 3 cars and 9 people. Sunset was again beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Well I immediately remembered my military training and took defensive positions around the campfire" I dropped immediately when I read this part... you can still find the same old funny Timo between the lines...

Anonymous said...

Forgot to but name on the upper one...

Timo said...

Hehe, thanks for the comment buddy old pal'.
We'll see in Melbourne :)