Saturday, April 08, 2006

More beaches and surfing in Newcastle

bar beach
Last week I went first time to the Bar beach which joins to the Merewether beach. Two beautiful beaches more to already beautiful beach category of Newcastle. Swell in Bar beach was very good but unfortunately this also means that it gets a little bit crowded. I'm a bit worried to take off to the wave when there is someone in front of me, mostly because I am not very sure if I can always steer my board. This isn't a very good thing since I usually don't manage to paddle fast enough to get many waves during a session and my chances to get a wave get even lighter when there's a crowd taking the same wave.
On the same trip we had a nice conversation with the local police after Matti took a short run against a one way road with his purple Volkswagen Kombi hippy van which is built around 1970s. Didn't get fined.

We also went surfing to the Nobby's beach yesterday and I managed to get my biggest wave so far. It's hard to describe what the surfing feels but for me it's something like when you combine nice powder outback riding to the excitement of park riding with snowboard. Challenging, fun and very good exercise.

I have a test on monday and wednesday which means that no surfing for couple of days. There's a big surfing event going on in Newcastle and the men finals are held on Sunday. Got to see that.

On Wednesday I am taking an early start to my Easter holiday with Matti and the dutch guy Sjord. We're packing 3 surfboards to my van and taking it up north along the coast for two and half weeks. The plan is atleast to stop in Port Mcquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Golden coast(Surfer's Paradise) and maybe continue further north from Brisbane to Sunshine coast and Noosa. Of course we are also going to stop in any good looking beach and have some quality time surfing. Accomodation is mostly in the van but we might also get a roof over our heads when we visit couple of our friends along the way.

More stuff about the road trip coming in future postings, stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great... It´s nice that you have time to write for your friends. It´s always fun to read about your stories. Have you had any time for the ladies or just for your board? If you will have an opportunity to use the Skype, try to call me so that we can catch up more preciously. regards Kuppimon

Timo said...

I don't have easy skype access here so it might be a little difficult. Anyways no worries, I will tell you all of the stories atleast when I get back to Finland :)